Happy Monday all!
Over the weekend I had the pleasure of attending CurlFest with my girls Sandra (La Pecosa Preciosa), Jami (Style Over Size) and Darlene (Suits, Heels & Curves) in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. This was my first time attending this event and while it had some snags (more on that later!) I really enjoyed myself. CurlFest was created by the Curly Girl Collective as a celebration of natural hair. They recognized there was a need to create a space where multiethnic beauty is embraced, something our society doesn’t do. I can’t tell you how wonderful it felt seeing so many women of color laughing, dancing and enjoying themselves. The sea of afros, coils, twists, braids and curl coifs made me swell with so much pride. There were so many beautifully radiant women at CurlFest that I couldn’t take their pictures fast enough!
While I highly recommend attending CurlFest next year, here are some things you need to know before you go:
- Register for general admission and just go. Trust me, waiting in a super long line in the Summer sun is not worth a goodie bag!
- Bring chairs and a blanket. It’s a festival so no seating is provided.
- Bring your own food and water. The food lines were ridiculously long. Pack a nice picnic lunch and chill out.
- Bring cash. There are several vendors and natural hair brands in attendance and not all of them took credit cards.
- Come early! While the festival starts at 12pm, people were there since 10:30am to claim prime spots in the shade.
- Stay hydrated! I know this should be a no brainer but unfortunately there were folks who needed medical attention for dehydration.
I hope to see you at CurlFest next year!
Have a wonderful day!