Happy Monday all!
When I was younger, I did very little to prepare myself for a long haul flight. I would get off the plane and be fine. Now that I’m a little older, I may not snap back like I used to. So to ward off any potential complications from my 12+ hour flight to Dubai, I did some research on what to do on a long haul flight. This is what I learned:
1. Dress Comfortably: it’s probably not a great idea to wear 4 inch stilettos on a long haul flight (I’ve seen this while flying). Wearing comfy, loose fitting clothing is best when taking long flights. I plan to wear a pair of culottes, a long sleeve cotton shirt (airplanes can be downright freezing!) and sneakers. I’ll save the cute outfits for when I land.
2. Noise Cancelling Headphones: Honestly I never considered using these before because I didn’t think it was necessary. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve become a light sleeper and the slightest noise wakes me up. I was able to find these Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones for less than $50.
3. Drink Water: The popular belief is that to get through a long flight is to have a couple of drinks. I know from experience (and a bad hangover) this isn’t the way to go. Keeping hydrated is top on my list to reduce swelling and bloating.
4. Compression Socks: I noticed after my flight to Paris in 2014 my legs felt like jelly and my feet were slightly swollen. To reduce this, I bought a pair of compression socks to help with foot swelling and reduce the possibility of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). The last thing I need to worry about on my long flight is blood clots.
5. Neck Pillow: I used to scoff at folks wearing neck pillows but now I’m joining their ranks!
What are some of your tips for surviving long haul flights?
Have a wonderful day!